Monday, 28 September 2015

St. John's to play Drumcliffe/Rosses Point in Relegation Play-Off

Sligo relegation semi-finals:
St John's v Drumcliffe/Rosses Point

(Below is league report on the Drumcliffe/Rosses Point league match back in April

Fureys Coaches Sponsored Sligo SFL Division 1 Round 3:

St. John’s 1-7 Drumcliffe/Rosses Point 1-7

St. John’s battling spirit is back

A dramatic goal from substitute Geoff Corcoran in the second minute of injury time secured St. John’s first point in this year’s Furey’s Sponsored Sligo Senior Football League Division 1 campaign,.

In an overall battling and heartening team display St. John’s came from behind to snatch a deserved draw against Drumcliffe/Rosses Point in a cold and blustery Oxfield Park on Saturday 11th April last.  

It was St. John’s who opened the scoring on 2 minutes with hard working midfielder Paul McNamara sending over a great score on the run from 40 metres. Niall Canning brought the sides level five minutes later after St. John’s Brian McGowan lost possession in the half back line and Canning took his opportunity well. St. John’s was forced into the first of their two substitutions with Ross Gordon coming in for the injured Alex Selby after just 8 minutes. Drumcliffe/Rosses Point then went into the lead with Paul Logan’s 35 meter free on ten minutes. Mark Rooney levelled matters for St. John’s on 16 minutes with a close in free. St. John’s towering full forward James Murphy caught a ball from the skies before slotting over an inspirational score. Niall Colleary again had the sides on level terms following good work from Gary Feeney down the right wing. A brace of frees from Paul Logan put Drumcliffe/Rosses Point out in front and it was to get even better for the Oxfield club with Eoin Gaughran’s high delivery was expertly fielded by Brian Og Murphy and he made no mistake firing past Noel O’Donnell in the St. John’s goals. Drumcliffe/Rosses Point went into the interval leading 1-5 to 0-3.

St.John’s were lucky not to fall further behind immediately after the break with Jamie Grehan pushing away a Neil Ewing goal bound shot with his feet. Tommy McManus’s charges got the next two scores with Mark Rooney landing over a monster free from 48 metres off the ground with the ball just managing to sneak over the crossbar. Ross Gordan then pointed for the Saints in a crowded goal mouth following great build up play from Ian Rossitor and Shane Stenson. Eoin Gaughran placed a perfect ball to the totally unmarked Brian og Murphy on the opposite wing to put Drumcliffe out in front by 1-6 0-5 with just 11 minutes remaining. James Murphy lifted the siege with another great score from 35 meters out. St. John’s sencing they could get something out of the tie were rewarded after Ian Rossitor was fouled and Shane Stenson slotting over the 14 meter free. A great movement involving Gary Feeney & Jude McGarry who fed the bustling Alan O’Dowd pointed with Drumcliffe/Rosses leading by 1-7 0-7 with 3 minutes left on the clock. The Oxfield men looked fitter in the closing stages but St. John’s great battling spirit and never say die attitude now came to the fore. Running on almost empty tanks they launched one last assault on the Drumcliffe/Rosses point goals. In the second minute of injury time Shane Stenson dropped in a high ball causing havoc with the ball dropping amongst a mass of players. Just when St. John’s needed a lifeline up stood one Geoff Corcoran. The ball dropped kindly to the super sub and he somehow managed to drill the ball passed what looked like the entire Drumcliffe’s/Rosses defence for a dramatic goal deep into injury time. The scores were level at 1-7 each but there was still time for Drumcliffe to win it. Working the ball out of defence in the 3rd minute of injury time Paul Logan had the chance to steal victory but his free from 45 metres just sailed inches wide of the left hand post. It was a great team display with the St. John’s defence working particularly hard especially in the second half only allowing Drumcliffe/Rosses point one point from play. Best for St. John’s were Paul McNamara, Shane Stenson, Eoin Flanagan, Tommy Kelly, Conor Greene ,Ian Rossitor & Brian McGowan while Drumcliffe’s Rosses Point best players were Brian Og Murphy, John Harvey, Neil Ewing, & Paul Logan

Scorers St. John’s: Geoff Corcoran 1-0, Paul McNamara 0-1, James Murphy 0-2, Mark Rooney 0-2, (1 free) Ross Gordan 0-1, Shane Stenson 0-1 (1 free),

Scorers Drumcliffe/Rosses Point: Brian Og Murphy 1-1, Niall Canning 0-1, Paul Logan 0-3, 2 frees, Niall Colleary 0-1, Alan O’Dowd 0-1

St. John’s: Noel O’ Donnell, Brian McGowan, Jamie Grehan, Alex Selby, Robbie Fahy, Eoin Flanagan, Thomas Kelly, Shane Stenson, Paul McNamara, Mark Rooney, Mark Cunningham, Conor Greene, Brian Harris, James Murphy, Ian Rossitor. Subs used: Ross Gordon (8 mins) Geoff Corcoran (38 mins)

Drumcliffe/Rosses Point: Justin Lyons, Stephen Regan, John McGowan, Darragh Long, Jude McGarry, Noel Ewing, Gary Feeney, Brian Og Murphy, John Harvey, Eoin Gaughran, Paul Logan, Kevin Davey, Niall Canning, Alan O’Dowd, Niall Colleary. Subs used: Cian McLoughlin (19 mins), Sean Peyton (48 mins)

Referee: Niall Smith St. Mary’s

Sunday 4th October at 11 a.m. in Fr. Brehony Park
Feile K.O. A Quarter Final: St. John’s v Eastern Harps


No comments:

Post a Comment